Friday, May 29, 2015

I have muscles!

The end of May brings long overdue sunshine to New England and apparently muscles. I'm starting to feel some firmness (aka muscles) in my biceps and the sides of my abdomen (not tummy in front though). This is a small victory, but makes me feel slightly better about all the effort I'm putting into this.

I also have an observation about my energy level. I just started taking a graduate class part time to further my career. At the first class last week, after working out, I was alert and active during the class (a rough time slot 6pm -10pm after a workday). At the second class this week, I missed my work-out beforehand and I was lethargic, tired, and couldn't pay attention in class.

At the same time, I had a setback earlier this week during a CrossFit WOD. It was heavy in cardio (assault bike) and I had an asthma attack during class. Besides being super embarrassing, it was scary to have no control of my airway closing. It was also difficult to communicate to others trying to push me the difference between being tired and out of breathe, to having an asthma attack. It was difficult for me to know the difference until it was happening! And that's why I kept pushing myself until it was too late.

Nonetheless - I can't let it get into my head too much. I knew this was going to be even more challenging for me than the average person. I gained some inspiration this past weekend from seeing two coaches compete in the CrossFit Northeast Regional, trying to qualifying for the actual national CF games. It was exciting to see athletes perform movements that I have been practicing, but at the professional level. They were so impressive! Especially the women who break those stereotypes I've mentioned before.

The next two months (June and July) will be focused on training for a Tough Mudder that my friend Ali and I are doing on my 26th birthday in August. To be honest, I don't think we'll be very successful. But that's not the point. We're going to try new things and be challenged. And most importantly, have fun. It also helps establish a clear goal and a way to measure progress along this journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment