Monday, May 11, 2015

Constantly in Pain

As this journey continues, I can't help but think I'm at a disadvantage. Women tend to be physically weaker than men. I have no nicer way of saying that. I'm convinced that I'm even WEAKER than the average woman. Maybe it's genetics, maybe I wasn't physically active enough in my youth at some key development moment. I know I'm weaker. I also struggle because of my asthma and severe environmental allergies. I can't run much without having an asthma attack, and when my allergies flare throughout the day, focusing on any activity becomes difficult with sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes and skin.

Regardless of both "handicaps,” I persevere forward. My physical movement has centered around four primary activities: 

Biking: Stationary bike indoors, really as a filler for off days. I can read something at the same time with my hands free. It's not the best work-out as I barely break a sweat, but I think it's better than doing nothing those days. It's my only "alone" work-out time when I can think.

Body Jam: Next I've been dancing. Music, movement, group social setting...count me in! It's so much fun that I don't even feel like I'm exercising. It's clubbing without the alcohol. I also have no shame in dancing so I can truly be silly and express myself, even with strangers. My favorite part about Body Jam is that there's a lot of thought put into the choreography. It blows Zumba out of the water. The songs are mixed together by a DJ, and each movement repeats, builds, and links to the next to create a full dance routine. It's a lot more technical and mentally demanding. I always leave smiling!

CrossFit: For those who don't what CrossFit is....it's basically a series of intense, fast, and hard functional movements called a WOD (workout of the day) taught in a class setting. It's known for amazing results because it "gets right to the point". It's also known for being extremely difficult and pushing people very hard to their limits. I'm not doing it justice in this description, but that's the only way I know how to describe it.

Usually WODs are measured in either time, rounds, or until you drop. I've consistently been last in my class on all three counts (no worries, they're great supportive people). A WOD is led by a "coach" who trains you first to learn the movement to execute it safely and correctly to maximize the effect. All WODs can be scaled up or down based on the individual's level of fitness. By doing so, we're all competing on a level playing field because we're doing the hardest thing according to our ability. 

Walking: Now that the weather is nice, I've been walking after eating lunch at the office every day. When I have free time at home or on the weekends, walking is my go-to activity to keep myself moving. Whether it be walking to get somewhere instead of driving, or making walking part of the day's plans (ex. walking in Boston to shop instead of taking the T to get around). Walking has also been a good way to explore new areas, recover from an intense work-out earlier in the day, and sometimes spend time with my husband to catch up on the week's events.

You may ask - what about nutrition? I haven't specifically started following a new diet, but I've been consciously making smarter decisions when possible. Substituting for a healthier side at restaurants, overall less alcohol intake, increasing protein throughout the week (red meat, poultry, fish, always accompanied by a vegetable), decreasing unnecessary and unnatural carbs and sugar.

What's my overall progress after 2 solid months of these activities, at least 5x a week?

I'm more TIRED, less mentally sharp, and constantly in PAIN.



Find beauty in physical strength     
I gained 3 pounds and look horrible for swimsuit season

Be in the best health possible
I can barely walk to my car after CrossFit

Actually feel 25 with my body     
I found more gray hairs

Improve perception of self, both inside and out      
I'm the weakest in my class

Explore what other areas are affected by these changes     
My husband is not happy as I'm still struggling to find a balance


I'm not discouraged. I honestly think my body is so broken that it will take time to feel and look better. I guess when you're used to going 100 mph in one way, shifting that energy elsewhere can be just as challenging. I think two components will play a major role in getting over that hump:

CrossFit - if I'm in that much pain, it has to work. More to come on CF.
Diversifying diet - reducing more carbs and sugar, especially artificial ones

We joined a CSA starting in June (Community Supported Agriculture) and will have fresh produce delivered weekly. I'm going to start making juice and shakes to get more vitamins and honestly, to keep it interesting and fun. 


I read something interesting today which I'll close with:

"If you do the bare minimum, expect the bare minimum results. You want to be great, work to be great. Nothing just happens." 

- JJ Watt 
(American football defensive for the Houston Texans)




No comments:

Post a Comment