Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Critical Weeks of Preparation

With less than 7 weeks to go until the NYC Marathon, my heart is filled with excitement, anticipation, and definitely fear. It's hard to believe that with 7 weeks left, I only have 3 long runs left in my training plan (18, 19, and 20 milers). While the past 6 months have been important foundation building (heck the past 9 years!), the next few weeks are absolutely critical. 

But three more long runs doesn't just mean three more times I gear up, fuel up, lace my shoes, and set my alarm for 4am. It means I only have three more chances to "get it right". It's not just about putting in the mileage. It's much more complicated than that.

On the top of the "complicated list" is scheduling constraints. As the runs get longer, the time required out of my schedule becomes more demanding. Makes sense. But there are other components. I designed a 25 week training plan while others usually do 16-18 weeks. My plan incorporated more rest between long runs and more cross-training than most. This design was an effort to help prevent my reoccurring injuries from last year that halted my marathon pursuit. For most of my training up until this point, I was "ahead" of everyone else. When I saw people on Strava starting out at 4-6 miles, I was already running 13 coming off the Brooklyn Half at the end of May. And so on, and so forth, for the whole summer. But now the gap has narrowed (intentionally), and I no longer feel "ahead". Therefore, the stakes feel higher. Less room for error.

The other scheduling challenge I'm facing is that as these runs get longer, the recovery time (pre and post) also become more important. It's becoming increasingly difficult to make it to CrossFit, which I love, and has been a critical part of getting stronger and being a more well-rounded athlete. If I don't make it to a Monday class (for whatever life reason - kids, work, sick), my long run on Thursday is now in jeopardy. I would be too sore to do CrossFit a later day, any closer to Thursday. And at this point in the game, I have to prioritize running.

Next comes fueling concerns. I'm still trying to figure out how to adequately consume enough carbs, salt, and fluid of course, as to not run at a deficit. You do not run a marathon to burn calories. Essentially I need to be putting the calories back in that I'm burning from running (and then some!). I have dramatically been under-fueling throughout my training, but it didn't really hit me or matter until last week during my 17 mile run. I experienced what can only be described as metabolic shock a few hours after my run. Shaking, muscles, pounding headache hallucinating, completely unable to lift my head from the pillow. Scary stuff.

I think the thing most people don't realize (including myself) is the compounding effect when you're hitting that higher mileage. For a Half, you can kind of "wing" the fueling because before it matters, the race is over. For a marathon, you're already fueling for miles 0-6 an hour before your run begins. And 6-10 as your run actually starts. By the time you get to that Half point, you better have already consumed what you needed for 13+. This is all very new to me. 

While this has been important to me this whole time (re: 2022 disaster), I will be even more focused on injury prevention and reduced risk-taking. I know, sounds boring! But now more than ever, I need to make sure I don't aggravate my IT band, my hip, or my weak left ankle with anything deemed "unnecessary" or too risky. For example, I did not feel comfortable helping Rob place and remove the canoe on top of the Jeep this past weekend while we were camping. Too many opportunities for a misstep. 

And lastly, gear prep. What clothing and shoes am I going to wear on the big day? Will my layers be right for the unknown fall temperatures? Will my clothing hold everything in place? Will there be any chafing? Will be shoes be stable and handle any pronation? So much to think about! Luckily I think I have most the hard parts decided - Panache underwire sports bra (for bigger women, hehe), Reebok high-waisted compression shorts, trusted Flipbelt around my waist, Feetures high-cushion socks, Saucony running shoes. But what I haven't quite figured out is my shirt. I prefer to run in just a sports bra, but that won't work for my bib placement which needs to be visible at all times. I'm trying to figure out the right crop tank that almost feels like I'm not wearing a shirt at all. Not too tight, not too loose. It's nothing I currently own. So I need try a few shirts on the next few weeks to figure out this final piece of the outfit.

In addition to the long runs, I luckily (and intentionally) have an upcoming race, before the marathon, to test out some of these theories - the Staten Island Half on October 8. There, I will practice getting on the Staten Island ferry and making my way to the same area the marathon begins. I can test out some final fueling strategies. And really, I think wear the same exact outfit I plan on wearing on the actual big day.

As I mentally and logistically begin preparing for this week's 18 miler, it's beginning to sink in that the marathon will likely be the biggest accomplishment of my life. More than my college degrees, more than getting married, more than buying a house, more than having children. I'm sure that will get some eyebrow raises, but hear me out.

This is truly the one thing that has been extremely difficult for me to succeed at. It does not come natural to me. I do not have an athletic foundation or background. My genetics are constantly working against me. My weight dictated what spaces I was "allowed" to simply exist in and god-forbid, thrive. My asthma, eczema, and allergies are always crippling me. My postpartum issues shattered my self-esteem and make my body difficult to move in the ways that I want. And my gender objectifies my body, devalues my worth, and determines how much harassment on the road I "deserve" every single time I step out of the house.

A high-school gym teacher told me once that I would never run a mile. Kids laughed at me. I was very close to not passing gym that year until I made my way around that dreaded track four times to complete the mile, walking of course. 

In just a few short weeks, I'm about to run A LOT more than four times around a track. 

Early morning running views - Great South Bay

The cutest pit stop help - Bellport NY






No comments:

Post a Comment