Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Run like Hell

September always feels like the start of a new year to me. Perhaps years of school conditioning has ingrained that into my mind. With a new year comes new challenges and goals. Now that the Tough Mudder is behind me, and I most likely won't be doing another one in the short-term because of my busy schedule and location limitations, I've set my sights on a new hurdle. 

I remind myself of the specific goals I outlined in June:


  • Participating in the Tough Mudder on August 15th - CHECK
  • Being able to run a mile unbroken  CHECK
  • CrossFit: 
    • being able to deadlift 150 lbs
    • being able to successfully pull myself up on gymnast rings 
  • Breaking a gender stereotype / shocking someone 


And I have decided to further develop my running abilities. I HATE running. It hurts my knees, it aggravates my asthma, and I look stupid doing it (sort of like a penguin or new born fawn). However, there is no denying that it is the foundation of fitness. Nearly all sports and fitness activities involve running, or at least as part of training. Running builds stamina, endurance, and discipline. The more I run, the more I work through my asthma.

I've signed up to participate in a 5k run on October 4th. I have exactly one month to prepare for it (5 km = 3.1 miles). My husband plans to join me, and possibly a friend or two.

I still haven't addressed my chronic pain and soreness issues. I'm pretty sure they are not injuries, but this seems like an intolerable way to live for months on end. What's the point of all this if I'm constantly in pain? 


(Photo credit: Reebok CrossFit One - August 21, 2015)
Check out the intense look of distress on my face!





No comments:

Post a Comment